Monday, February 10, 2014

Banana Breakfast Bars! :)

Hello everyone and good Morning.. Evening.. Afternoon.. (thought I would cover all my bases..). Today is a good day.. and on this very fine day I bring to you a very fine recipe. :)  Banana Breakfast Bars.. More like a cake really but it is quite good.. I use a lot of flax in this recipe and it lends a really nice nutty flavor to breakfast cake.. also I use ground up hazelnuts as the main source of the flour and well.. that is pretty tasty also. :)
So, this recipe came about by complete accident! One day I was going to be making breakfast for me and my co-worker.. I usually bring breakfast to work with me and I just thought why not bring some for her too. :) So, both of us have many food intolerances and if I were to list off the ones we have collectively you would probably say.. "WHAT DO YOU EAT?!?!?" oh but trust me.. we make some dangerously delicious delicacies. :) Anyway..
So I can't have grains, dairy, soy, corn, sugar, meat.. etc.. and on top of that she can't have almonds (which is my normal go to..) or eggs.. which makes all things baking that much easier.. I prefer to have my recipes with no eggs anyway so I gladly accepted the adventure to make something that both of us could enjoy. :)
I had decided to make us WAFFLES! yum! I had never done a waffle recipe that was all of the things mentioned above so I decided to go for it and see what happens.. well something definitely went wrong and batter was spurting out of my waffle stick maker all over the counter and it was just crisping onto the waffle maker.. Huge CATASTROPHE!! so.. I decided to put my brain together and think of how I could make the recipe work and not end up throwing away such delicious batter! So.. I threw it into a pan and threw in some potato starch and some coconut palm sugar and this is the recipe that I came up with that very day. :)

 
Banana Breakfast Bars
 
Ingrediets:
 
2 flax eggs (Flax egg=1Tbsp flax w/ 3Tbsp water) I usually add an extra 1/2tbsp or more of flax just cuz I love it so much. :)
1 ripened banana mashed up
1/2 cup milk of choice (I used cashew milk.. I've used coconut in the past as well[sodelicous brand])
3Tbsp Honey(Maple syrup to keep it vegan)
3Tbsp Grapeseed oil
Liberal 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Raw Hazelnuts..(I soaked all day[at least 2-4hours is best])
3Tbsp Coconut Flour
3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
3/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Coconut Palm Sugar (or more to taste)
1/4-1/2 tsp Ginger pwd. (more or less depending on your liking of ginger)
3/4 tsp Cinnamon pwd.
1 (10oz) bag Chocolate Mega Chunks (Enjoy Life brand)
coconut oil, to grease pan..
 
1. The first step is to grease an 8"x8" pan with coconut oil.. then whip up your flax eggs and set them aside to soak and get thickened.. (approx. 2 mins)Do the same for your banana so that the flavor can really come out. Also preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
 
2. Once they have sat, whip together the flax eggs and the banana and pour them into a high speed blender. (I believe a food processor would also work but I haven't tried it yet) Then pour all the ingredients, in the order listed, into the blender. EXCEPT the potato starch, coconut palm sugar, ginger, cinnamon, mega chunks. TIP: might work better to chop up your hazelnuts a bit before throwing them into the blender.. not necessary if you have a high power blender but you can if you want. :)
 
3. After all is blended.. will be a little rough but all worth it in the end. :) Throw into the blender and STIR.. potato starch, coconut palm sugar, ginger, cinnamon. Once the stirring is complete you may dumped it into a greased 8"x8" pan.
 
4. Last step is to dump in the bag of chocolate chips and make sure they are dispersed evenly throughout the mix. :)
 
5. NOW BAKE! :) yay! Put those bars in the oven to bake and become awesome for about 30-50 minutes. I think the first time I made them I baked them for 30 and it didn't seem to make much difference in the texture or moisture. I just like mine a bit dryer so I did 50 this time.  TIP: I like my Banana Breakfast Bars dryer so  I normally bake them the night before and leave them out all night so the excess moisture evaporated up out of them.. DDEELLIISSHH. :)
 
6. ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment