Sunday, December 22, 2013

Yam N' Egg Salad.

Another new post so soon?? What's this?? Well.. I just so happened to have made something for lunch today that I rather enjoyed and thought I should share it with you all. :)

 
Egg Salad with Yams and Cilantro.
 
Ingredients:
1 or 2 small Yams (or sweet potatos.. Yams have a richer color and flavor so I prefer them)
3 Hard boiled Eggs
1/4 cup cilantro (fresh.. not packed)
3/4 cup chopped White Onion (or other.. Red is my fav! just didn't have any on hand.. Red would lend nice flavor and nice color to this recipe.)
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup Soy Free Vegenaise (vegan mayo.. has some brown rice syrup in it.. I have noticed I can have some rice and I feel just fine. There are many websites online that have recipes on how to make your own without the rice syrup.)
 
1. Wash off peel of Yams.. Poke four sets of wholes in your Yams with a fork. Place in a tupper ware container with lid on askew into the microwave for 5minutes exactly.. This will cook your yams but without adding in all the moisture that boiling the potatoes does.. (and less hassle!) Allow your yas to rest in the microwave while you do all your other work. This can be done in the oven with tin foil like baked potatoes if you prefer.
2. Now you can chop your onions, hard boiled eggs and cilantro and throw everything except your yams into a medium size bowl and mix together thoroughly.
3. Next chop up your yams (I prefer to leave the peels on.. you cane easily remove them by putting the hot yams into an ice water bath and the peels should just easily peel off.) as small as desired and mix it in with the rest of the ingredients but be careful because the yams will be scolding hot!!
4. Next you can play with this recipe.. eat it as is.. or throw it between some bread slices.. omit the egg and add tofu to make it vegan.. have fun with it! I was thinking of trying it again another day and adding a squirt of orange juice and some cinnamon.. weird a? I'll let you guys know if its good. :)
5. ENJOY! :)
 
Oh and I know its probably confusing because I call myself a vegetarian and here is an egg salad recipe.. Well I never used to eat any meat at all but when I found out about all of my food intolerances at first I didn't know how to cook for myself so one of the only things I knew how to make that was easy and wouldn't make me sick was eggs.. so I allowed myself to start eating some eggs that I got from a friends farm.. and very rarely some fish.. but most the time I get too grossed out ha! :) Some day my goal is to be completely vegan. :) :) :) One step at a time I suppose..
Anyway.. what did you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment